Oprah Winfrey, Alicia Keys & More Celebrate Maya Angelou's 90th Birthday


Google celebrated Maya Angelou’s birthday Wednesday (April 4) with a special homepage Doodle that opens as a video of celebrities reciting lines from Angelou's poem “Still I Rise.”
The Doodle is especially fitting considering April is also National Poetry Month. Maya Angelou would have been 90 years old. She passed away in 2014 at the age of 86. ]
The video opens with Angelou reading lines from “Still I Rise.” Check out the rest of the celebrities who celebrated Angelou's birthday on Wednesday.
[readmore:8286346
Dr. Maya Angelou
You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust,
I'll rise.
Alicia Keys
Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.
America Ferrera
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I rise.
Dr. Maya Angelou
Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?
Martina McBride
Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
’Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own backyard.
Guy Johnson
You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise
Laverne Cox
You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.
Oprah Winfrey
Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Dr. Maya Angelou
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

Billboard Video

Lady Gaga: Music Video Evolution

Russell Simmons Demands Trial by Jury After Denying Rape Allegation

Shareif Ziyadat/FilmMagic
Russell Simmons attends the Argyleculture By Russell Simmons show at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring 2015 at Helen Mills Event Space on Sept. 5, 2014 in New York City.
Russell Simmons is demanding a trial by jury after fervently denying one of the rape allegations against him. He says the young woman’s accusation is just a way to get paid.
TMZ reports that the media mogul and Jennifer Jarosik had a consensual, occasionally sexual relationship for 10 years.
In legal docs obtained by the site, “Jarosik frequently sent him loving messages and unsolicited nude photos -- including just weeks after the alleged 2016 rape and long after another 2011 sexual assault he claims she’s publicly accused him of.”

Jarosik claims that Simmons “propositioned” her for sex two years ago, to which she refused. Simmons allegedly jumped on top of her on the bed, hit her in the head and then took advantage of her.
Elsewhere in the docs, the courts conclude that Jarosik has a “propensity to exaggerate” and also reportedly suffers from “untreated mental health issues.” Her lawyer Perry C. Wander says that she is “a loving mother and a good parent and her parenting abilities have no relevance in this matter.”
16 women in total have accused Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct. He maintains his innocence, stating that he would “never hurt anybody.”
This article was originally published by Vibe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the invention of paper changed the world

Goldman hikes yuan exchange rate forecasts, cites U.S. trade ties